WHAT IS GENIE?
GENIE is an application that lets you use your iPhone or Android phone to detect imperceptible digital watermarks.
Digital watermarks are imperceptible digital codes that can easily be embedded into printed content; you can’t see them, but your phone can.
Download the GENIE app. Launch the app on your phone. Ensure you are in ‘Look’ mode, you will see crosshairs in the center of the screen. Point your camera over the digital watermarked content. Wait for your phone to vibrate and Presto! You will be linked multimedia content like video, and related content through many different types of network services.
GENIE can also read QR codes.
HOW DO I KNOW SOMETHING IS WATERMARKED?
You can find digital watermarks in Pacific Magazines titles. Just look for the GENIE Logo (below). You can find a list of magazines containing digital watermarks here
For examples – go to here and print the samples on your colour printer, using the highest quality settings.
- Download the GENIE app. Launch the app on your phone. Ensure you are in ‘Look’ mode, you will see crosshairs in the center of the screen. Point your camera over the digital watermarked content.
- Be in a well-lit area, hold your phone steady about 10 - 15 cm (4 - 6 inches) away, pointing the crosshairs at the center of the watermarked print.
- The GENIE app will launch an interactive multimedia content straight out of the page.
You can find a list of magazines and newspapers containing digital watermarks here
I CANNOT DETECT DIGITAL WATERMARKS. WHAT'S WRONG?
- It is important to hold the phone at the correct distance from the printed page. This distance varies from phone to phone. Start 10 - 15 cm (4 - 6 inches) away and slowly move closer, you should read the watermark.
- Allow for your camera to focus on the printed piece and for the auto-exposure to adjust to the lighting.
- Good lighting is also important. A general rule is your eyes should be able to read the printed page without straining. The iPhone4 allows use of the flash LED to improve lighting if necessary. Several Android phones also allow use of the flash LED to improve lighting if necessary
- The phone should be held parallel to the print. The app works best when the phone is not tilted at an angle.
- If the print is on glossy stock, try to reduce any glare.
- Point the crosshairs at the center of the watermarked print and not around the edges or corners.
- It will only take a few attempts before you are comfortable and learn how to position your phone for the best results.
WHY WOULD A LINK BE INACTIVE OR EXPIRED?
- The watermark will be active for the duration the magazine is on-sale. The length of time may vary and may go beyond the magazine on-sale. Each magazine must choose the time the link from page to the multimedia content will be active.
DO I NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET TO USE THE GENIE APP?
- Yes, the GENIE app requires an internet network connection. Either your carrier's 3G or 4G wireless network or a WiFi connection will work well.
DOES GENIE WORK ON ALL IPHONE MODELS?
- The GENIE app works on the iPhone 3GS, the iPhone 4, the iPhone 4S, the iPod Touch (4th generation) and the iPad 2 and iPad 3.
DOES GENIE WORK ON ALL ANDROID PHONES?
- The GENIE app will work on Android phone models running Android OS 2.2, 2.3, 3.0 and 4.0 that have an auto-focus camera, excluding devices with small screen sizes.
- The GENIE app has been tested on the Motorola Atrix and Droid X; the Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S series); and the Google Nexus One and Nexus S.
- New Android devices are released at a rapid rate and tests are conducted a subset of these devices, focusing on the later Android OS releases. Camera quality, driver implementation and good lighting make the largest difference in the performance of the GENIE app.
HOW DO I USE GENIE TO READ QR CODES OR BARCODES?
- First, find a QR code in a magazine or a barcode on a product package. QR codes are 2D (square) barcodes that can be used to link you to a website. GENIE will read UPC, EAN and ISBN barcode formats.
- Launch the GENIE app on your phone. To detect QR codes or barcodes, the app must be in "Look" mode. To navigate to the Look mode, press the "Look" tab (with the eyeball) on the bottom of the screen. In Look mode, the camera's video preview will be active.
- In a well-lit area, aim the camera at the QR code, pointing the crosshairs at the center of the QR code or barcode. Hold the camera steady and allow it to focus. You may need to move the camera closer to the QR code or barcode to fill the frame of the GENIE camera display.
- GENIE will launch the browser on your phone to connect you to the website associated with the QR code.
WHEN I READ A QR CODE, SOMETIMES I SEE "UNSUPPORTED QR CODE." WHY?
GENIE supports QR codes that contain a URL for linking to a website, the most popular QR code format used in mobile marketing campaigns. There are other formats encoded into QR codes: VCards, phone numbers, etc. GENIE may support these in later versions, but not at this time.